Friday, December 11, 2009

Back to Basics: How to Julienne and Brunoise a carrot

I bet everyone in the foodie world has seen Julie and Julia by now and if so you will remember the scene of Julia child cutting hundreds of onions in her kitchen so she could be as quick and perfect as her classmates in culinary school. Well for the last few weeks I have been doing the same except with carrots. I have to take knife skills to complete my baking and pastry certificate so I am with a bunch of culinary students whose passion is chopping, I on the other hand would rather be baking some bread. For 5 hours a day for 2 days a week for 7 weeks I have been chopping fruits and vegetables, luckily we haven’t done that many onions. On this post I will show you some of the basic cuts for carrots so you can practice too.

First peel a carrot and chop off the ends.

Above are some suggestions for items to help you cut better but I had to buy them for my class. You will want to get a good chef knife which cuts almost everything. Then that’s a knife model but a ruler works just fine.

Then cut the carrot into 2 inch segments then stand each piece upright and cut ¼ inch planks off such as the one above.

Then cut the planks into ¼ inch cuts which is julienne.

Then after you julienne the carrot you could just use that or then chop it into Brunoise which is a ¼ inch square that you just chop off the julienne carrots. Warning: Your finger nails will be orange after this and your family will probably want all the vegetables cut this way.
I have a lot more baking coming soon for the season coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment